Sunday, May 24, 2009

Coyote Hill Classic 5-24-09


What?! You don't like mud?!


It's a long drive to West Fairlee, VT. Luckily the Coyote Hill course is good enough to make it worth while. I love the north country, whether it's Maine, the Adirondacks, New Hampshire or Vermont. I love the smell of the woods, the mountains, the dirt roads and the lifestyle. The Coyote Hill facilities, if you can call them that, are rustic, but cool. At the end of the road, it's all there. The trails are really good. They're tough, but rideable, not super gnarly, just steady hardness.

It rained just before the start and for most of the race, so things got pretty slippery. I can't say I really minded it. The temperature was good and the mud seems to be suiting me well. The first lap went fast, the second lap I just held on and hoped to not get passed. I ended up third. Starting the second lap I closed the gap to Matt Snow at the top of the road climb, but by then my mind was detaching from my body and the lines just weren't working. Matt was gone. He got four minutes on me in one lap and finished second.


Jonathan finished 7th out of 15. Rob rode in with his usual smile. He said he had a good time. Can't ask for more than that.


Maggie spent the day stalking Jeremy Powers, I mean officiating at the Hartford crit. It was her first assignment. Sounds like she did OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment